Overview & Features
Interventional radiologist is a doctor who specializes in performing minimally invasive image guided vascular procedures improving the accuracy and minimizing complications. The procedures are performed in cath lab , CT scan room or using ultrasound guidance as per the disease and organ involved. Today interventional radiologists are indispensable part of various multidisciplinary teams such as trauma, liver and renal transplant, critical care team etc and they work closely with all the departments of the hospital. Because of the minimally invasive nature of work the recovery is faster with fewer complication rates and less admission time. Many procedures can be done as day care with patient returning to routine work same day.
Treatment & Procedures
Vascular Interventional procedures.
- Laser Ablation Of Varicose Veins.
- Peripheral Vascular Diseases Including Diabetic Foot (Aortoiliac, Femoropopliteal, Tibial And Pedal Angioplasty And Stenting)
- Intra-Arterial Catheter Directed Thrombolysis In Acute Limb Ischemia Using Urokinase Or Rt-PA.
- Intravenous Catheter Directed Thrombolysis In Acute Deep Venous Thrombosis And IVC Filters Placement.
- Venous Angioplasty And Stenting In Venous Compression Syndromes, Malignant Venous Obstruction ,Central Venous Obstruction.
- Angioplasty In Vasculitis Like Takayasu Using Cutting Balloons.
- Embolization For Arteriovenous Malformations.
- Sclerotherapy For Isolated Perforator Incompetence In Lower Limb Varicosities And In Venolymphatic Malformations.
Urological / Nephrological Interventional procedures
- Embolization Of Post PCNL And Post Biopsy Hematuria.
- Pre-Operative Embolization For Renal Cell Carcinoma.
- Embolization Of Renal Tumors Like Angiomyolipoma.
- Percutaneous Nephrostomy And Antegrade Ureteric Stenting In Malignant Ureteric Obstruction.
- Prostatic artery embolization for BPH
- Varicocele embolization
- Transjugular renal biopsy
- Embolisation of chylous post operative collections
Dialysis related interventions
- Routine and difficult dialysis access insertion including dialysis catheters and perm cath and perm cath repalcement
- Central venoplasty including stenting for poor flow and SVC syndrome
- AV fistuloplasty / thrombolysis
Pulmonary and Thoracic interventional Procedures .
- Bronchial And Non-Bronchial Systemic Artery Embolization In Haemoptysis.
- Biopsy / pleurodesis for recurrent pleural effusions/ Tracheal stenting
- Pleural effusion aspiration / drainage
- Embolisation for chylothorax
Gastroenterology and hepatology Interventional Procedures
- Emergency bleed embolisation
- Pre-Operative Embolization For Highly Vascular Tumors, Ruptured Liver Tumors, Chemoembolization of HCC
- Portal vein embolization for hepatic resection, Transjugular liver biopsies
- PTBD +/- stenting for biliary obstruction.
- TIPS for variceal bleed , recurrent ascites (TIPS)
- Shunt occlusions (BRTO ,PARTO, CARTO) in bleed , recurrent encephalopathy
- Interventions in Budd chiari syndrome including hepatic vein recanalisation , IVC venoplasty or stenting , DIPS
- Thrombolysis ,angioplasty or stenting of mesenteric ishaemia
- Pancreatic collection drainage
Neuro Interventional Procedures.
- Cerebral angiography.
- Mechanical thrombectomy for acute stroke.
- Carotid artery stenting for stroke.
- Angioplasty and stenting for intracranial arteries for stroke.
- Endovascular embolization/coiling for intracranial (brain) Aneurysms, Arterio-venous malformations, Arteriovenous fistula of brain vessels.
- Endovascular embolization for Carotico-Cavernous Fistulas.
- Endovascular embolisation for various spinal vascular malformations.
- Intra-arterial chemotherapy for Retinoblastoma.
- Embolisation for Vein of Galen Malformation (VGAM).
- Endovascular embolization/coiling for bleeding neck and brain vessels.
- Endovascular embolization for recurrent subdural hematoma.
- Mechanical thrombectomy for cerebral venous sinus thrombosis.
- Stenting for dural sinus stenting.
- Pre-operative embolization for head, neck and spinal tumors to reduce operative blood loss.
- Inferior petrosal sinus sampling for pituitary adenoma diagnosis.
- Kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty for chronic back pain due to vertebral collapse.
- Ablation for painful spinal metastases and osteoid osteoma.
Gynecological Interventional Procudures.
- Embolization For Primary And Delayed Post-Partum Hemorrhage.
- Embolization Of Symptomatic Uterine Fibroids Using PVA Particles.
- Prophylactic bilateral iliac balloon placement In High Risk PPH Cases Like Placental Abnormalities/ Fibroid Complicating Pregnancy.
- Fallopian Tube Recanalization for Tubal Blocks.
- Embolisation for pelvic congestion syndrome
Onco- interventions :
- Biopsies / FNAC / imprint smear from tumours
- HCC treatment including RFA , MWA, TACE, PEI
- Ablation of other tumors
- Palliative interventions like ablation of bony metastases / nerve blocks
- Embolisation of post operative / tumoral bleeds
Aortic interventions :
- Endovascular thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysm stenting
- Endoleak embolisation
- Ablations for Osteoid osteoma / vertebroplasty / bone biopsy
Central venous access :
- Dialysis catheters
- Difficult central line for paediatric / adult population
- Chemoport insertion
- PICC line